MX204 Virtual Chassis Setup

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Wed Aug 23 15:01:10 UTC 2023

> What would have been nice is if Juniper oversubscribed the face plate of
> this platform, as most people are more likely to run out of ports than
> they would the 400Gbps forwarding capacity of Trio.

You're restricted to 400G because they did fixed lane allocations to the EA
chip on the PFE to each port group. Doing an MRATE setup to let you access
all 480G would have increased electrical complexity, and dramatically
increased the price point of the box. There are tradeoffs. The more
flexibility you want, the more expensive the box is going to be.

I'm not sure they allow oversubscription on anything in the MX line anymore
honestly. I could be wrong, I've been face down in a specific subset of
equipment for a while, someone please correct me if I am.