Destination Preference Attribute for BGP

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Tue Aug 22 17:31:26 UTC 2023

On 8/22/23 16:46, Tom Beecher wrote:

> Again, as it was stated, the size of or number of BGP communities
> wasn't the problem anyway; it was hashing / memory storage. And you
> know what? Hashing / memory storage HAS been a problem with multiple
> vendors in many other contexts, not just BGP community stuff. Has
> nothing to do with "2023 hardware". You can bog down top of the line
> DDR5 memory pretty easily if you make certain coding choices.

I suppose that can be said of anything in our industry. There is always
a way we can hurt ourselves, especially if we ignore or have not learned
our lessons.

With the information that I have, I don't consider it a massive issue at
the moment. Of course, that is always a changing landscape, and my views
may alter when that happens sufficiently. But as of now, I am dealing
with far more severe BGP bugs than what appears to have been, at least
for the moment, fixed.

> You can choose ( as you apparently have ) to just presume that a
> problem that happened before won't ever happen again. Prob not a great
> idea though.

Ummh, okay...

Mark.