Hawaiian ILEC infrastructure and fire

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Aug 17 01:43:39 UTC 2023

On 8/16/23 3:58 AM, TJ Trout wrote:
> I found it interesting that *all*? cellular service on west maui died?
> Does every carrier single-home via waves served out of the Lahaina CO?
> Or maybe they aren't allowed to have generators in Maui? Seems like they
> would have diverse paths to major sites

Many do mobile backhaul over various providers, including Hawaiian
Telcom.  We do that over MPLS.  The Lahaina CO is an HT property and we
maintain the stuff that kept it relatively safe; air handlers, filters,
generators, battery banks, etc.  All fiber was gone.  The fire was
intense due to the wind speed.  There was a hurricane near the islands.
Likely, even the cell towers were melted.  I cannot speak to what the
cell folks have in place.  Last, it's an island and diverse paths are
short in number.

scott