NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

Royce Williams royce at techsolvency.com
Sun Aug 6 20:19:23 UTC 2023

Respectfully, that Wikipedia article (which is mostly about legit but
unauthorized clients overwhelming a given peer) and your cites don't seem
to cover what I was responding to - the "don't peer with public NTP because
someone can flood your firewall and spoof the responses" problem. I just
want to make sure that I'm understanding the distinction betwen this class
and other classes of attack.

Wouldn't a robust implementation of peering - say, seven peers, with the
NTP algorithm handily selecting a subset to peer with for each cycle -
require an attacker to know and overwhelm not just one, but a majority of
the peer IPs?

This is *not* to say that I'm advocating against maintaining local stratum
0s as part of a proper operator-grade NTP mesh. (My definition of "robust
implementation" would include both local stratum 0 and a healthy serving of
Internet stratum 1s). I'm just suggesting "don't peer with public servers"
seems draconian given the deliberate design choices of the protocol.

For this audience, this would recommend a tiered system where multiple
mixed-stratum internal stratrum 0+1s would peer with each other, and
maintain internal-facing consensus for all other downstream internal
devices - such that the vast majority of internal peers would indeed not be
talking to the public Internet (but the "parent" peers would, and have the
mesh and mix that I describe).

And I'm well aware of who I'm saying this to ... so I expect to find out
where I'm wrong, as I keep digging. :D

--
Royce