NTP Sync Issue Across Tata (Europe)

Mel Beckman mel at beckman.org
Sat Aug 5 19:26:37 UTC 2023

Mark,

You might consider setting up your own GPS-based NTP network. Commercial Ethernet GPS-sourced NTP servers, such as the Time Machines, TM1000A, are as little as $400. Or you can roll your own using a Raspberry Pi or similar nano computer with a GPS module and antenna. We use these exclusively in data centers now rather than depending on Internet NTP servers, primarily for security, because financial transactions in e-commerce can be sensitive to false time information. There are also a variety of NTP-based Internet attacks, so if you can block NTP at your border you’ve eliminated another attack surface.

-mel via cell