DMARC ViolationAS21299 - 46.42.196.0/24 ASN prepending 255 times

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Thu Mar 31 23:20:06 UTC 2022

Matthew Petach wrote:

> Unfortunately, the reason crazy-long prepends actually propagate so
> widely in the internet core is because most of those decisions to prefer
> your peer's customers are done using a relatively big and heavy hammer.

IOW if your peer or customer has prepended 5 times or more, dont
LOCAL_PREF or maybe even de-LOCAL_PREF it

<very good advice snipped>

> For the most part--if you think LOCAL_PREF is the right knob to use
> for moving
> traffic, it probably means you need to go back and rethink your
> traffic engineering
> approach.   ^_^;
>
> Matt

I think more and perhaps different knobs were and still are needed.

Here is an idea, as part of the all extra processing updates have to go
through nowadays, how about a long call back to each AS in the path
using some sort of standardized service, perhaps published via DNS, sort
of an automated looking glass results compared to update-out. And then
the receiver, however many AS's away starts to get a much clearer
picture of the intent all the through and maybe perhaps some much better
intelligent automated properly reactive internet wide traffic
engineering standards will emerge.

Until then I think a slew of standardized communities that elicit near
universal and predictable standard reactions is probably the best bet.
The problem is that shifting too much control to the advertiser makes it
a non-starter from the point of view of the receiver, and then you can
forget about deployment.

Would be nice to be able to publish your community scheme as simply
conforming with RFCX and the to configure peers with process-rfcX
statement and be mostly done.

Joe