PoE, Comcast Modems, and Service Outages

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Mar 30 18:08:36 UTC 2022

On 3/30/22 10:52, Livingood, Jason via NANOG wrote:

> Could well be from noise ingress - lots of work goes into finding & fixing ingress issues. Hard to say unless we look in detail at the connection in question and the neighborhood node.

Packet loss absolutely could be noise ingress. That's measurable in
terms of s/n ratio and it's on the outside plant HFC side.

But noise doesn't "build up", and PoE is DC, and PoE is on the LAN side,
separated from Comcast's equipment by a router. Level 1 Comcast guy is
simply wrong.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV