PoE, Comcast Modems, and Service Outages

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Tue Mar 29 20:30:21 UTC 2022

On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 1:12 PM Joe Greco <jgreco at ns.sol.net> wrote:

> So if you want the $100 test to eliminate PoE electrical effects, get
> a pair of media converters and run fiber between them.  Put the CPE on
> the far end.  Optimize as appropriate if you have SFP-capable switches.

Sure--that would shoot down the "leaking non-existent PoE across a
motherboard and out another NIC" theory, but I was more thinking along the
lines of something like PoE causing RF interference or something.
I mean it's DC not AC so...it wouldn't be putting out a modulating signal
that interferes? ...honestly that's outside my knowledge domain.

-A