Scanning the Internet for Vulnerabilities

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Mon Jun 20 11:20:37 UTC 2022

On 2022-06-20, at 04:18, Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:

> When researchers, or whoever, claim their scanning an altruistic service, I ask them if they would mind someone coming to their home and trying to open all the doors and windows every night.

Well, it is more like the guy who comes once a year and checks that your central heating is not going to blow up.

(Disclaimer: I have supervised students who designed and executed benign mass-scans of the IPv4 Internet in order to validate hypotheses about market penetration of certain security updates, and I definitely would do that again if there is a good reason to perform such a scan.)

Grüße, Carsten