Upstream bandwidth usage

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Sat Jun 11 01:37:22 UTC 2022

On 6/10/22 20:17, Mark Tinka wrote:
> We've seen proposals from Huawei, for example, where OLT shelves can
> support both GPON and XG-PON line cards.
>
> Just not seeing our market going in that direction yet.

This isn't just Huawei. I know at least Adtran can do GPON+XGS-PON in
the same chassis, and I'm pretty sure I remember Nokia telling me the
same.  I'd imagine Calix can, too, if the other two big names in North
America have it.

I know at least Adtran even has a combo card where the same card can
handle optics with all the filters built in to do XGS-PON+GPON on the
same fiber without external muxes and only consuming one port.  The
pricing is even what I'd call not just reasonable but "compelling" for
immediate deployment even if you don't plan to use the 10G function
since it would of course drastically extend the useful lifespan of that
card plus give you in-service upgrades to XGS-PON overlay if you
equipped it with suitable optics from the get-go (which are also not
overly expensive).

Given that the parts clearly exist for combo cards with combo optics,
I'd imagine all of the major players have it in their portfolio at this
point.

The XGS-PON ONTs are still about double the price of the GPON ONTs last
I checked.
--
Brandon Martin