FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Casey Russell crussell at kanren.net
Mon Jun 6 17:40:31 UTC 2022

Is it?  I mean, as an industry, we already recognize that the average user
downloads approx. 5 times more than they upload.  In fact, we use it to
bash users who want a synchronous speed... tell them that's unreasonable.

I get your point, that if you try to use the outliers corner cases as your
"measure", that's a problem.  And I agree that game companies might get
lazier in terms of efficiency and distribution methods.  I'm just saying we
need to be careful to have the conversations, and be open to them.  We need
to provide good, well-thought-out reasons, and justify our reluctance to
hit "low profit" areas.  Especially when we work in a sector that's being
provided billions of dollars a year to do that very thing.  Short quips
like "Downloading is a really bad thing to use as a reason" overly simplify
the (real) problems and needs down to insulting sound bytes when talking to
the public.

I realize you're talking to an in-group here, and might not have said the
same publicly, so I'm not being overly critical, it's just an observation
to clarify my own point

Sincerely,
Casey Russell
Network Engineer