FCC proposes higher speed goals (100/20 Mbps) for USF providers

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Mon Jun 6 16:19:36 UTC 2022

On Mon, 6 Jun 2022, Casey Russell via NANOG wrote:
> To be honest, I don't know, I'm not a money person, I just turn knobs.  But
> apparently it costs more than $130 billion dollars.  In the US alone.

If I had a magic wand, I would have a separate cap on each USF program....
including the High Cost Fund (formerly telco, now the Connect America
Fund), and reduce the USF tax/fee on everyone's bill by 50%.

high cost (telco/connect america) $5,116 million (not capped)
e-Rate for schools & libraries    $2,156 million (capped)
lifeline benefits                 $  723 million
rural health care connectivity    $  556 million (capped)