What do you think about this airline vs 5G brouhaha?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Fri Jan 21 19:37:27 UTC 2022

On 1/21/22 11:10, Michael Thomas wrote:

> For commercial airlines is it just old equipment or all equipment that
> has this error? That is, is there actually an off the shelf radio that
> would solve the problem?

I'm not qualified to answer. Avionics needs to go through a testing
program called TSO.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/production_approvals/tsoa/

The FAA certainly could require that the radar meet the specs. There are
several off-the-shelf waveguide filters that are -60dB at 20 MHZ
out-of-band readily available within that frequency range but a quick
search doesn't show anything off-the-shelf with the radar band as the
passband.

It certainly seems that sufficient selectivity within the radar set to
avoid interference is well within the state of the art and has been for
some time. Whether FAA has tightened the spec in the last 30-plus years
is up to them to answer.

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
503 897-8550 - WB6RDV