Russian aligned ASNs?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Fri Feb 25 02:49:53 UTC 2022

On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 07:40:54PM -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Apparently some Russian government sites have already cut themselves
> off, presumably to avoid counterattacks.
>
> Would it improve Internet health to refuse Russian ASN announcements?
>
> What is our community doing to assist Ukraine against these attacks?

Keeping the free flow of information going seems to be the best way
to counter a history of isolationist tendencies by authoritarian
governments and represssive regimes.  Countries that have dabbled
with the idea of firewalls, content filters, alternative DNS or even
network, etc., are given encouragement if you cut them off.

It may be best to focus on things that are less IP-centric and more
of a problem-solving variety.  Running a good Tor node, by any chance?

... JG
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way
through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that
democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'"-Asimov