Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 9 13:21:30 UTC 2022

On 2/9/22 15:00, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Wrong. It is not bad, at least not so bad, pinging properly
> anycast DNS servers.
>
> The point of anycast is resistance to DDoS.
>
> But, relying on hard coded 8.8.8.8 is not a good idea because
> DNS service of the address may be terminated.
>
> Instead, properly anycast root name servers are authoritative
> resources provided for public DNS queries which can be used for
> pinging, though pinging so with ICMP should be less painful
> for the servers.

That's like saying you won't have an egg for dinner because it's
typically had for breakfast.

Users don't care what infrastructure has been designated for. If they
can find another use for it other than designed, which serves their
interests, they will use it.

We need to allow, and account, for that.

Mark.