Authoritative Resources for Public DNS Pinging

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Wed Feb 9 09:32:14 UTC 2022

> On 2/9/22 09:30, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>

> > Let me repeat that there is a service which is officially intended to
> > be pinged/queried/etc, the RIPE Anchors.
>
> Yeah, but how do we get out there in a manner that Jane can easily find and
> use, like she does 8.8.8.8?

It wouldn't be too hard for ripe to setup a dns record for  ping.ripe.net and  point it towards a local anchor for each request.
I think it could generate some interesting data for the atlas project as well.
Once it becomes popular the anchor hosters may not be so happy  about the traffic they receive , but that is another story.

Brian