Simplified BGP peering solution

Adam Thompson athompson at merlin.mb.ca
Mon Feb 7 21:30:59 UTC 2022

4 upstream ISP connections (2 commercial, 1 NREN, 1 partial feed from HE)
1 local IX (MBIX), so 5 more ASNs there (including HE, above) plus all the open-peering ASes accessible through the IX route servers
3 downstream customers with their own ASNs

The two commercial ISPs are because end-user internet access here is the usual telco/cableco near-total-duopoly, and those two %$#@!!s only peer ~30ms away from me.  (Interestingly, I have one ILEC but two cablecos, geographically separated, within my service area.)
The NREN should be self-evident… that’s usually over 1/3 of my bandwidth, in fact, thanks to CANARIE’s CDN network.
MBIX is to cover all the non-duopoly ISPs in the province.  (Guess who doesn’t show up at the IX… first infinity guesses don’t count.)

So… I actually am an end-user trying to load balance.  But I’m also looking for the best paths.  And I have three POPs now where I meet other carriers delivering L2 circuits.  Finally, I’m an ISP but not for the general public.

I don’t think you can categorize the customer type effectively based on either the peering counts OR the number of “ISPs” they deal with.  (Not to mention, you need to define “ISP” in order for this question to make sense in the first place.)

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB, R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
athompson at merlin.mb.ca<mailto:athompson at merlin.mb.ca>
www.merlin.mb.ca<http://www.merlin.mb.ca/>