IPv6 woes - RFC

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Sep 18 18:37:58 UTC 2021

It appears that Owen DeLong via NANOG <owen at delong.com> said:
>> The cost of putting flyers in the bills rounds to zero, so yes, really. I expect these companies all have plans
>to support v6 eventually, someday, once they're retired and replaced all of the old junk that handles v6 poorly or
>not at all, but you know about accountants and depreciation.
>
>Unless their infrastructure runs significantly on hardware and software pre-2004 (unlikely), so does the cost of
>adding IPv6 to their content servers. Especially if they’re using a CDN such as Akamai.

I wasn't talking about switches and routers.  I was talking about every single piece of software and equipment that
they use for support and marketing and customer service and all the other stuff that big companies do.

As I may have said once or twice, eventuallly it'll all be replaced so it works on IPv6 but we're not holding our breath.

R's,
John