IPv6 woes - RFC

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Sep 11 17:33:02 UTC 2021

> On Sep 10, 2021, at 14:17 , Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

>>> You mean like: https://docs.hetzner.com/general/others/ipv4-pricing/ ?
>>>
>>> yes, a /24 was 0 setup, now now close to 5000 of currency.... and the monthly fee also doubled.
>>> Noting that 20 for an IPv4 IP is effectively quite cheap with current prices going towards 50+...
>>>
>>> There are thus already a few places that are doing the squish....
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Jeroen
>>>
>> Yes, but it needs to come from a major eyeball ISP to be the motivating
>> factor that we need here. A minor virtual server host isn’t going to do it.
>
> "minor virtual server host". I think you are underestimating things...
>
> https://bgp.he.net/AS24940 + AS213230
>
> That is not a toy network... but hey, I guess 'everything is bigger' on the other side of the big old lake eh.

Not everything, but compare to (e.g. 15169, 16509).

Also, the key here is more that we need large eyeballs, such as 7922, 21928, 6167, 6298, etc.).

I wasn’t meaning to disparage Hetzner in any way, but they’re a cloud host, not an eyeball provider. While they’re not a toy network, I also wouldn’t call them a major cloud provider in the same league with (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud).

> I am sure, considering the news and rumors, that that pricing change made, that it made an impact at a lot of companies, that things are changing, and that is a win for IPv6...

Agreed… I’m glad to see what they’ve done, but I’m advocating for someone like Comcast to follow suit in hopes that it will drive other large content providers to make the move.

Owen