IPv6 woes - RFC

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Sep 6 06:29:43 UTC 2021

On Sun, 5 Sept 2021 at 19:22, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> So where does that put us in a decade or two?  Which protocol is
> optional?

If we don't get regulatory enforcement or voluntary commitments to
sunset IPv4, we are doomed for dual-stack for the foreseeable future
(decades).
I absolutely HATE testing, developing and supporting IPv4+IPv6, more
than doubling my time, adding 3rd stack would actually not increase
cost that much, it's the 1=>2 which is fantastically expensive. And
costs are transferred to customers.
Those who have not done _anything_ with IPv6, have done the right
thing from business POV, they've had lowest cost, least issues and
have had other people pay for the improvements of the stack. And even
today, I see no business sense deploying IPv6.

Now if we'd know, all of our CDN, cloudyshops and tier1 will start
dropping IPV4 at edge in 2040, this would create good business reason
to start developing to IPv6, you'd know you need to have it, and you'd
know you have finite window when you need to support both.
And this is something we should commit to do, and everyone would
benefit from the comment.

--
  ++ytti