ipv4 on mobile networks

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Sat Oct 23 17:32:49 UTC 2021

So I'm curious how the mobile operators deploying ipv6 to the handsets
are dealing with ipv4. The simplest would be to get the phone a routable
ipv4 address, but that would seemingly exacerbate the reason they went
to v6 in the first place. Are carriers NAT'ing somewhere along the line?
If so, where? Like does the phone encapsulate v4 in 4-in-6? Or does the
phone get a net 10 address and it gets NAT'd by the carrier?

It seems also for mobile carriers there is incentive for as much transit
as possible for native v6 to the servers. Or is the deployment of v6
mainly within the carrier network itself and it's NAT'd somewhere?

Basically what does a typical v6/v4 architecture look like for a mobile
carrier these days?

Mike