S.Korea broadband firm sues Netflix after traffic surge

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Oct 12 21:00:43 UTC 2021

> I think it would be absolutely *stunning* for content providers
> to turn the model on its head; use a bittorrent like model for
> caching and serving content out of subscribers homes at
> recalcitrant ISPs, so that data doesn't come from outside,
> it comes out of the mesh within the eyeball network, with
> no clear place for the ISP to stick a $$$ bill to.

I'm familiar with some work and ideas that have gone into such a thing, and
I'm personally very much against it for non-technical reasons.

Given how far the law lags behind technology, the last thing anyone should
be ok with is a 3rd party storing bits on ANYTHING in their house, or
transmitting those bits from a network connection that is registered to
them.