DNS pulling BGP routes?

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Wed Oct 6 22:22:43 UTC 2021

On 10/6/21 2:58 PM, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2021, Michael Thomas wrote:

>>>  The servers' IP addresses are anycasted. When one data center
>>>  determines itself to be malfunctioning, it withdraws the routes so
>>>  that users will reach a different data center that is, in theory,
>>>  still functioning.
>>>
>> Ah, I was wondering if the anycast part was the relevant bit. But
>> doesn't it seem odd that it would be intertwined with the DNS
>> infrastructure?
>
> People have been anycasting DNS server IPs for years (decades?). So, no.

But it wasn't just their DNS subnets that were pulled, I thought. I'm
obviously really confused. Anycast to a DNS server makes sense that
they'd pull out if they couldn't contact the backend. But I thought that
almost all of their routes to the backend were pulled? That is, the DFZ
was emptied of FB routes.

Mike