Better description of what happened

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at xyonet.com
Wed Oct 6 14:41:07 UTC 2021

On 10/5/21 5:51 AM, scott wrote:

> On 10/5/21 8:39 PM, Michael Thomas wrote:
>>
>> This bit posted by Randy might get lost in the other thread, but it
>> appears that their DNS withdraws BGP routes for prefixes that they
>> can't reach or are flaky it seems. Apparently that goes for the
>> prefixes that the name servers are on too. This caused internal
>> outages too as it seems they use their front facing DNS just like
>> everybody else.
>>
>> Sounds like they might consider having at least one split horizon
>> server internally. Lots of fodder here.

even a POTS line connected to a modem connected to a serial port on a
workstation in the data enter so that you can talk to whatever you need
to talk to.  I would go so far as to have other outgoing serial
connections to routers from that workstation. It's ugly, but it provides
remote out of band disaster management.  Just sayin'