IPv6 and CDN's

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Nov 29 18:36:54 UTC 2021

> On Nov 28, 2021, at 23:25 , Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

> On 11/29/21 03:33, Masataka Ohta wrote:
>
>> The end result was that our DNS servers became unreachable even though they were still operational. This made it impossible for the rest of the internet to find our servers.
>
> So your suggestion to map machine addresses to human-readable names is... what?

If you can limit the names to the characters a-f, i, o, s, and z then it’s possible to do so with IPv6 addresses natively.
(which you can’t do in IPv4).
(o=0, i=1, s=5, and z=2)

I’m not saying this is a good idea, but it is possible. There are a large number of english words that can be spelled with just those 9 characters.

Owen