IPv6 and CDN's

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Sun Nov 28 12:58:44 UTC 2021

Mark Tinka wrote:

>> Here in nanog, we are talking about network operations, considerable
>> part of which can not rely on DNS.
>
> And yet Facebook were unable to access their kit to fix their recent
> outage because of it (or, lack of it).

Exactly.

That facebook poorly managed their DNS to cause the recent disaster
is an important evidence to support my point that DNS, so often, may
not be helpful for network operations against disastrous failures,
including, but not limited to, DNS failures.

> There was a time when knowing the IP(v4) address of every interface of
> every router in your network was cool.

I surely acknowledge your point that it is impossible to do so with
MAC address based IPv6 addresses, which is why IPv6 opex is so high.

But, with manually configured IP addresses, it is trivially easy
to have a rule to assign lower part of IP addresses within a subnet
for hosts and upper part for routers, which is enough to troubleshoot
most network failures.

> I have never had to care about
> that in close to 15 years. Right up there with losing interest in making
> software modems work in Linux, when it was a thing :-).

So, you are saying you haven't faced real operational problems
to loss DNS information for these 15 years.

Congratulations for your luck!

> If you want to remain stuck in the past, we don't have to join you.

Surely, the recent disaster of facebook happened in the recent
past.

So what?

							Masataka Ohta