IPv6 and CDN's

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Nov 27 19:16:58 UTC 2021

> On Nov 27, 2021, at 06:04 , Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

> On 11/27/21 02:41, Michael Thomas wrote:
>
>> Amazon's in this case. They are monetizing their lack of v6 support requiring you go through all kinds of expensive hoops instead of doing the obvious and routing v6 packets.
>>

> Individual CDN's and content providers have better control over how they deploy IPv6, vs. ISP's who have far less capital, warm bodies and innovation DNA.
>
> I'm arguing for the latter.
>
> Mark.

I honestly think that in Amazon’s case, it’s because they’ve cocked up v4 so badly in their attempts to squeeze every drop of life out of every v4 address they have that they have built a nightmare network that makes it utterly difficult to do the obvious and simply route v6 packets because they can’t even do that with v4 if they wanted to.

Admittedly, this is based only on comments and descriptions I’ve heard from others about the Amazon network, including customers, Amazon SEs, Amazon staff, etc., but it does seem to fit the available observations rather well.

Owen