[**EXTERNAL**] Re: Half Fibre Pair

Fox, Barbara bfox at ciena.com
Wed Jan 27 14:52:04 UTC 2021

I asked a submarine guy how much the fibers can carry because this sounded low to me.  His response:

it depends on the type of cable. Older cables (with embedded dispersion compensation) have a lot less capacity and I have seen some as low as 1Tb/s per fiber pair and some as high as 10Tb/s per fiber pair. All newer D+ Cables that have been deployed in the last 5 years and will be the only cables deployed going forward can easily carry 20Tb/s of capacity per fiber pair. Something Like Havfrue can support 22T per fiber pair and there are 8 fiber pairs for a total of 176T.

Barbara