Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez' Office is on NANOG?? Or, what is the policy about sharing email offlist?

Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. amitchell at isipp.com
Mon Jan 18 19:40:45 UTC 2021

> On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:28 PM, Aaron C. de Bruyn <aaron at heyaaron.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:20 AM Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. <amitchell at isipp.com> wrote:
> And either way, what is the policy about forwarding list email to someone who is not on the list?
>
> If you are posting to NANOG under the impression that your email will only be seen by network engineers and that it will never be "leaked" off-list to the public, I have deal for you involving a few billion shillings I need to smuggle out of Kenya...you can keep 10%, and I just need your routing info...

Not under that impression at all.  That's very different from "what is the policy" - at least in the groups I run, if the policy is "no sharing offlist" and then someone does, there are consequences for that someone.

Anne

--
Anne P. Mitchell,  Attorney at Law
Dean of Cyberlaw & Cybersecurity, Lincoln Law School
Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Former Counsel: Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)