what is the policy about sharing email offlist?

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Mon Jan 18 18:42:13 UTC 2021

Dear all,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 11:17:06AM -0700, Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. wrote:
> Either Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez' office is on the NANOG list or
> someone is forwarding NANOG email to AOC's press office (in which case
> either spoofed as the original sender or AOC's office sends an ack to
> every email address it can find)..as I received this auto-ack in
> response to my email to to the list.
>
> Anyone have any insight into this?

The NANOG Mailing-list usage guidelines prohibit auto-reponse postings
to the list or to other users: https://www.nanog.org/resources/usage-guidelines/

prevent auto-responders decrease the signal to noise ratio. As multiple
users have now made a report about an auto-responder, I'm sure the issue
will be resolved soon.

> And either way, what is the policy about forwarding list email to
> someone who is not on the list?

The NANOG mailing list is a so-called 'public' mailing list. Emails send
to the list are distributed to all subscribed email addresses, and in
addition to such this distribution, list postings archived at a publicly
accessible location for anyone prefering to use a web browser:
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/

It is possible for users to distribute NANOG mailing list postings
through other means, such as additional forwarding and archiving
(example: https://marc.info/?l=nanog)

The NANOG mailing list AUP does not prohibit forwarding of emails which
were sent to NANOG the list to people not on the list.

Kind regards,

Job