NDAA passed: Internet and Online Streaming Services Emergency Alert Study

Jim mysidia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 18:47:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
[snip]
> streaming company need to be able to authenticate the alerts from
> all those different agencies.  Those agencies also need to secure  [...]

The agencies would already submit their alerts through IPAWS gateways
managed by FEMA;
otherwise every national satellite & cable provider have a similar challenge.

The feds authenticate agencies and authorize those to use that service
- the streaming
companies only need a way to verify the message originated through
that central authority.

> And then there's another problem, which is that once all those different
> agencies have this facility, they're going to (ab)use it as they see fit.
[snip]

I suppose abuse of authority or excessive use for any alerting system
is bound to be a risk, no matter what.
Not really a technical or network issue at all though.. (People could
petition local elected officials  and/or persuade others within their
district, their neighbors, etc, to vote in new officials  in that
case, etc.)

--
-JH