Famous operational issues

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Feb 18 13:27:22 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 01:07:01AM -0800, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> On that note, I'd be very interested in hearing stories of actual incidents
> that are the cause of why cardboard boxes are banned in many facilities,
> due to loose particulate matter getting into the air and setting off very
> sensitive fire detection systems.
>
> Or maybe it's more mundane and 99% of the reason is people unpack stuff and
> don't always clean up properly after themselves.

	We had a plastic bag sucked into the intake of a router in a
datacenter once that caused it to overheat and take the site down.  We
had cameras in our cage and I remember seeing the photo from the site of
the colo (I'll protect their name just because) taken as the tech was on
the phone and pulled the bag out of the router.

	The time from the thermal warning syslog that it's getting warm
to overheat and shutdown is short enough you can't really get a tech to
the cage in time to prevent it.

	I assume also the latter above, which is people have varying
definitons of clean.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net