Texas internet connectivity declining due to blackouts

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Wed Feb 17 16:45:24 UTC 2021

On 2/17/21 8:07 AM, Sean Donelan wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021, Andy Ringsmuth wrote:
>> Not sure where you’re finding those numbers but I believe they are not
>> accurate.
>
> U.S. Energy Information Administration (part of the Department of Energy)
>
> https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a

This article is an interest description of Texas electricity pricing for
one provider and for the market in general:

"Some retail power companies in Texas are making an unusual plea to
their customers amid a deep freeze that has sent electricity prices
skyrocketing: Please, leave us.

Power supplier, Griddy, told all 29,000 of its customers that they
should switch to another provider as spot electricity prices soared to
as high as $9,000 a megawatt-hour. Griddy’s customers are fully exposed
to the real-time swings in wholesale power markets, so those who don’t
leave soon will face extraordinarily high electricity bills."

The catch:

"Hector Torres, an energy trader in Texas, who is a Griddy customer
himself, said he tried to switch services over the long weekend but
couldn’t find a company willing to take him until Wednesday, when the
weather is forecast to turn warmer."

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/energy/2021/02/16/electricity-retailer-griddys-unusual-plea-to-texas-customers-leave-now-before-you-get-a-big-bill/

- John