DoD IP Space

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Feb 14 08:55:26 UTC 2021

On 2/14/21 02:00, scott wrote:

> I would be looking for a new job and it is a much larger network than
> 2 routers is a big city.  :)    Sabri Berisha was correct: "The true
> enemy here is mid-level management that refuses to prioritize
> deployment of IPv6.   What we should be discussing is how best to
> approach that problem. It's where ops and corporate politics
> overlap."   What I always heard when I bring it up and they don't want
> to talk about it was "What's the business case?" They know there isn't
> one.

You've just answered yourself, which is the sad (but true) reality.

It will always come down to numbers, especially if you need to expend
money on kit or use limited human resources that are already tied up
with money-making projects.

If you can show that further delaying IPv6 deployment will have a direct
impact on loss of revenue (particularly in the immediate), then you'll
have a better chance of getting the deployment approved. The problem is
any relationship between IPv6 and the going concern of the business is
most likely to be indirect, which will make your task even that much harder.

Perhaps appealing to your management's sense of "something else", that
when combined with (loss of) revenue, gives them a minute to pause and
think. I wouldn't know what that "something else" as it pertains to your
specific business, but maybe you do.

Mark.