DoD IP Space

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:25:03 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 11:30 AM Tom Beecher <beecher at beecher.cc> wrote:

>> For most networks there is almost no pain in enabling IPv6.
>

> A startup vendor, formed by long time industry veterans, released brand new products inside of the last 8 years that did not yet have IPv6 support because their software, also created by them from scratch, did not yet support it. It does now, but one could argue that it's mind boggling this happened in the first place.

this happens, a lot :(

> When experienced industry individuals decide that V6 is second class enough to chop the feature just to get the product out the door, and bolt it on to code later (because THAT always works out well :) ), it really makes you wonder how many more generations of engineers will be having these same conversations.
>
> The money always talks. As long as solutions exist to massage V4 scarcity , and those solutions remain cheaper, they will generally win.

the problem (one problem?) in the networking space is that:
  "Today's network works, why should I add risk / config-pain /
customer-problems / uncertainty when there's no driving reason to do
same?"

This is almost certainly why some residential providers still don't
offer v6 (<cough>verizon</cough>) on their residential link service.
-chris