PeerinDB refuses to register certain networks [was: Setting sensible max-prefix limits]

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Aug 19 09:52:07 UTC 2021

Sabri Berisha wrote on 19/08/2021 00:57:
> ----- On Aug 18, 2021, at 4:03 PM, Rubens Kuhlrubensk at gmail.com  wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Currently RPKI can only validate origin, not paths. If/when a path
>> validation solution is available, then one easy way to know that
>> network A really means to peer with network B is to publish a path
>> validation that B can use and/or forward A's announcements.
> Yes, that would be a relatively easy thing to calculate.

if this were easy, we'd have solved the problem space years ago.  It's
complicated because the description mechanism needs to be able to
describe the complete set of all inter-as connectivity arrangements
written in a language which is simple enough for people to be able to
update it easily, which can be parsed by language interpreters
relatively easily (allowing toolkits to be written / ), and which is
flexible enough to output complex instructions including optimized
regexps, routing metrics, etc, on a per-prefix, per-asn,
per-interconnection point basis.  RPSL attempted these things and
probably failed on all three points.  There have been some other
attempts, but none came up with any usable outputs.

Nick