Submitting Fake Geolocation for blocks to Data Brokers and RIRs

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Apr 22 14:23:37 UTC 2021

On Thu, Apr 22, 2021 at 7:12 AM nanoguser100 via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org>
wrote:

> William,
>
> The plan is to carve out a /24 for "Estonia" and have special servers on
> it.  This would be the same /24 I'd have to use if I were to put a
> legitimate POP there.  This also means I don't conflict with the real
> Germany.
>
> I am just worried about violating the 'rules' of these providers and
> getting myself blacklisted from submitting corrections.  Afterall the
> traceroute will still show us hitting a router in Germany before it hits my
> network.  Traceroutes aren't the end all be all but it's a tell-tale sign.
>
> I guess this is all ISP-reported info so it's not "illegal" or a violation
> in any way.
>
> -Nanoguser100

I think it's safe to say that before anyone could be
held accountable for geolocation data, there would
have to *first* be a requirement that the data be able
to be reliably updated to be *correct*.

As we have not yet achieved a way of ensuring that
legitimate holders of IP resources can reliably update
the geolocation data, I think you can rest assured,
nobody will be holding you accountable for whatever
the geolocation data might show for a particular block
of addresses.

Now, if, as an industry, we had a consistent, reliable
way in which geolocation records could be updated
with a means to audit and ensure the updates are
being made only by the legitimate holders of the
number resources...*then* you might have reason
to be concerned.

But as of now, as evidenced by the number of
"how do I get my geolocation data updated"
emails sent to NANOG, which result in a flurry
of "meetoo" followups, no reasonable court
would ever give any legal credence to the
current data in the various geolocation
databases.

You can sleep soundly at night, whichever
road you may choose to take.

Matt