100G over 100 km of dark fiber

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Fri Oct 30 21:06:57 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 30-10-2020 15:33, Dale W. Carder wrote:

> You may also find that 100G PAM4 could work.  There are some vendors that
> sell the optic, and an outboard EDFA + DCF pizza box.

We are about to deploy these on a couple of dark fibers:
https://www.solid-optics.com/product/edfamux-multiplexer-amplifier-dispersion-compensation-dwdm-mux-edfa/

They have amplified and dispersion compensated 8x100G to be used with
PAM4 optics, and a pass-through port to connect existing 1G/10G MUXes to
(which can have their own amplification if necessary).

They can provide models with different sets of channels of you need that
(nice when cascading them with existing 1/10G MUXes). IIRC next year
they can also build in a power meter so you can do remote monitoring.

If you're interested I can let you know how much we like them in a few
months ;)

Cheers,
Sander