Apple Catalina Appears to Introduce Massive Jitter

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Oct 29 12:40:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 02:31:59PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 10/29/20 14:27, Matt Hoppes wrote:
>
> > Is it actually jitter or is it potentially the wireless network card
> > going into sleep mode? I have seen that type of behavior on Apple
> > products when the cards go into low power mode although I can’t say I
> > have noticed that on my laptop.
>
> Not, not sleep mode, because I am actively using the device to move data
> to/from the Internet.
>
> I was actually struggling to upload some files to Youtube last weekend, and
> had to use another computer to do it as I couldn't figure out what was going
> on. That it is how bad the jitter is.
>
> It seems to be a much bigger problem for the upload direction than the
> download, but it, inevitably creates a symmetrical performance problem.

	I know there was a recent fix Apple did for devices talking to UBNT APs
for their handsets, perhaps there's a similar fix needed on your side?

	I have all UBNT at home for wireless and periodically have some random
issues which I can't explain, but for the most part have things tuned to ensure
there's little to no interference.

	Do you see the same when hardwired?  I keep many of my devices hardwired
to avoid odd jitter issues.  I also saw some older versions of the Pulse Secure
VPN add the behavior you describe, including the more uptime the slower it would
get.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net