Ingress filtering on transits, peers, and IX ports

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Oct 14 10:51:42 UTC 2020

On 10/13/20 9:40 PM, Nikolas Geyer wrote:
> Tl;dr - definitely don’t accept your own prefix from the site it originated from, or other sites that have internal connectivity. But also don’t assume that an AS has a full-mesh of internal connectivity behind it and shouldn’t accept its own prefixes for any reason.

While I can understand some reasons why people don't do it, I believe
the proper thing to do in this case is have multiple ASNs - one for each
island.

They obviously have distinct routing policy and thus qualify at least
under ARIN policy AFAIK.  With AS4, we don't have any imminent shortage
of ASNs and don't need to be particularly stingy about allocating them
as long as a need is met.
--
Brandon Martin