Hurricane Electric AS6939

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Oct 14 00:01:28 UTC 2020

On 10/13/20 7:29 PM, Aaron Gould wrote:
> Do y’all like HE for Internet uplink?  I’m thinking about using them for 100gig in Texas.  It would be for my eyeballs ISP.  We currently have Spectrum, Telia and Cogent.

They're a good bulk/budget option in a blend.  A decent number of
content hosts are keen to source traffic into them.  I would be loathe
to be single-homed to them, but even then they're not the worst option
in that department.

If you've already got Telia, Spectrum, and Cogent, 6939 is probably a
great addition to your blend.

They'll probably want a 5yr contract out of you to get their best (and
headline per-Mbps) rate.  Evaluate carefully what position that puts you
in based on the continually dropping cost of wholesale transit and bulk
interconnect opportunities.  You may prefer a shorter contract term at
slightly higher rates.

As others said, if you don't need full routes from them, they have a
VERY open peering policy, and that 100G port might be better suited to a
local IX where you can pick them up along with a bunch of other content
networks.
--
Brandon Martin