AS hijacking (Philosophy, rants, GeoMind)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat May 30 18:09:05 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 8:40 AM Justin Wilson (Lists) <lists at mtin.net> wrote:
> Here is where the philosophy comes into play.  The very terse e-mail we received back was basically “As2 gets hijacked a lot and it’s not our problem”. So my question for the NANOG folks.  At what point do you say “it’s not your problem” when it involves your ASN?

The point where someone who isn't you is both hijacking your ASN *and*
someone else's prefix? Have you confirmed that the hijack actually
came from UDel, that the AS path matches one that's legitimate for
UDel? The guy hijacking your route doesn't have to list just one AS as
the origin; he can' list an entire chain.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin