Contact at Ubiquiti Networks?

Aaron C. de Bruyn aaron at heyaaron.com
Tue May 26 15:46:51 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 6:44 AM Mel Beckman <mel at beckman.org> wrote:

> Your or my pet bug may never get fixed, based on market demand.

Gonna have to disagree with you there.
I'm not sure if it was a cashflow issue or what, but they launched the
Unifi Dream Machine Pro after a very short testing period.
A client bought two thinking they could replace their office firewall with
it.
There were *so* many show-stopping issues with the product, it was
basically a brick for ~4 months.
You couldn't configure the device unless it had a non RFC-1918 address on
its WAN interface.  It crashed frequently both due to software bugs and
memory usage. Software updates frequently b0rked things...and
backup/restore was broken.  Interfaces would disconnect and reconnect for
~30 seconds several times per hour.  I tested it for my client and had a
list of ~15 show-stopper bugs that prevented us from putting it into
production.

Thankfully they were "quick" to fix it.  It's been ~3 months and all the
show-stoppers seem to be resolved.  Things like logging and graphing are
still broken, but that doesn't stop internet access.

Regardless, they shouldn't have pushed a completely broken device out the
door as being ready for public sale.  It should still be in beta today in
my opinion.

-A