Partial vs Full tables

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Jun 5 17:28:20 UTC 2020

* Michael Hare

> I'm considering an approach similar to Tore's blog where at some
> point I keep the full RIB but selectively populate the FIB.  Tore,
> care to comment on why you decided to filter the RIB as well?

In the end I felt that running in production with the RIB and the FIB
perpetually out of sync was too much of a hack, something that I would
likely come to regret at a later point in time. That approach never
made it out of the lab.

For example, simple RIB lookups like «show route $dest» would not have
given truthful answers, which would likely have confused colleagues.

Even though we filter on the BGP sessions towards our transits, we
still all get the routes in our RIB and can look them up explicitly we
need to (e.g., in JunOS: «show route hidden $dest»).

Tore