MAP-T in production

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Sat Jul 25 03:00:56 UTC 2020

On 7/24/20 10:46 PM, Brian Johnson wrote:
> OK Randy. How about a suggestion that is useful.

My approach thus far absent CPE support for transition mechanisms has
been native IPv6 across the board + NAT444, but I use a VRF to
regionalize the NAT444 routing and bring it to a semi-centralized
gateway much like one would using DS-Lite, 464XLAT, MAP, LW4o6, etc.

No need to forklift anything, and you can deploy whatever suits you
incrementally in regions where you need to.  It also works with all
user-supplied CPE routers which is a bonus as I hate to require that
users use my CPE router, and it's not yet easy for consumers to verify
beforehand that the router they're buying at Best Buy will support any
particular transition tech, though I'd really like to get that fixed.

I'm quite small, though.  I can imagine this would be a hassle compared
to running a single stack access layer at scale, and of course the NAT
is stateful no matter what you do with this technique.
--
Brandon Martin