questions asked during network engineer interview

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Jul 24 07:53:50 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 09:44:36AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 24/Jul/20 09:32, William Herrin wrote:
>
> > Choosing not to mash one's fingers with a hammer is not an absence of
> > curiosity about carpentry. It's merely an understanding that doing
> > carpentry well involves -not- mashing one's fingers with a hammer.
>
> You mean like not poking your finger into the wall socket, or in the
> fire, unless you're 2?
>
> I'm not sure how to parse your comment. But in case you are wondering, I
> am talking about network engineering, which is not common sense.
>
> Mark.

Well, I take the point of his comment to be not being curious to the
point of inadvertantly doing damage to something that you were better
off leaving alone until you found someone who could clue you in to the
particulars. There are plenty of network engineers out there who, in
going about their job--and especially when trying out new
features, figuratively mashed their figures with that hammer.
Curiosity, yes, but also self-discipline.

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org