questions asked during network engineer interview

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Wed Jul 22 22:55:11 UTC 2020

Adam,

> On 21 Jul 2020, at 19:13, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.com> wrote:
> On 21/Jul/20 18:39, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:
>> Little you two know about SDN, please read the following presentation from Scott Shenker and then get back here arguing what it is and what it is not: https://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs168/fa14/lectures/lec23-public.pdf
>
> I'll pass, thanks. Already did my time in that rabbit hole.

Yeah. Also, I see great piece near end of the slide deck:

"We (Berkeley) are pushing SDNv2 which focuses on
 - General processing at the edge (middleboxes)
 - Very simple processing in the core
 - Support for third-party services (using mboxes)”

I believe I’ve seen this somewhere ;)

Are we reinventing tag switching?

Mind it, PDF is from 2014 and represents very naive approach to SDN (sorry, “SDNv2”).

And yes (to the main topic of this thread) - I have some certs.
I understand people without certs tend to discard them as
non-relevant or even toxic. Yes, I’ve met “paper” CCIEs,
but also JNCIEs and I can see the point being made. I’ve
met great minds (also on this list) without any networking
certificates. I believe that until you see real person on the
other side of table and not her/his cert(s), good chat and
questions will remove all doubts. Everyone has to start
somewhere and make those first errors, and being ‘expert’
doesn’t mean you’re not making them anymore.

--
Łukasz Bromirski
CCIE R&S/SP #15929, CCDE #2012::17, PGP Key ID: 0xFD077F6A