Internet services in Antarctica

Ask Bjørn Hansen ask at develooper.com
Mon Jan 20 10:13:17 UTC 2020

Hi,

I have a hobby project running DNS service to people looking for NTP public servers. I noticed that the DNS servers apparently get ~5 thousand queries per day from IPs that the GeoIP database we use claim are in in Antarctica. It’s less than 0.0001% of the overall DNS queries, but it made me curious what it’d take to make the service work better there.

I imagine the internet service is fragmented between the various stations with each being best connected to a particular country? Does anyone have contacts there that I could talk to?  I imagine (some of?) the stations would have a local NTP service as part of their compute facilities.

Ask