5G roadblock: labor

Sabri Berisha sabri at cluecentral.net
Sun Jan 5 20:37:42 UTC 2020

----- On Jan 5, 2020, at 3:21 AM, Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu wrote:

Hi,

> The question isn't about whether the kids will be using wire or
> wireless... we know they will be using wireless. The question is what
> that wireless will be. Something has to drive the wireless, so the wire
> (mostly high-bandwidth fibre) is not going anywhere. It is the
> distribution, particularly in consumer applications, that will be wireless.

That we totally agree on.

> I just think that it will be more wi-fi than GSM data, simply because of
> the cost of scaling out GSM data vs. the cost of running fibre to a site
> and distributing connectivity via wi-fi.

My instinct tells me it will be some form of low earth orbit satellites. In
the past I worked for a GEO satellite ISP and while that technology has its
drawbacks, those are mostly resolved with transponders in LEO.

That said, in my dreams it will be something like this:
https://phys.org/news/2019-12-entanglement-long-distance-free-space-quantum.html

Imagine a world where you have one half of a quantum entangled particle in
your device, with the other half being on the ISP premises. Instant
wireless communication. I do apologize for the highly off-topic sci-fi here :)

Thanks,

Sabri