TCP-AMP DDoS Attack - Fake abuse reports problem

Selphie Keller selphie.keller at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 11:24:48 UTC 2020

Yeah this type of attack is a pain in the ass to deal with.

Attacker is spoofing your IP addresses to millions of random web servers
all over the Internet that see it as a typical SYN Flood those with
automated reporting are likely blowing up OVH's abuse@ making a pain for
them as well.
However, OVH likely could easily check netflow or some other audit means to
see your server didn't actually send out SYN packets to these servers. They
likely are able to confirm the influx of inbound SYN-ACK packets that can
be up to six depending on the TCP/IP stack of the server.
The others are correct if you send out TCP Reset rejections you can tare
down these bad states on the victim reflector's side to avoid getting retry
SYN-ACK's.

At this point I would consider whatever IP that you have that's getting
attacked as burned, you're best bet is to drop those affected subnets and
get new ones and avoid getting them exposed to whoever is attacking you.

Spoofing issues has been the bane of any operator for years, till all the
ASN's are on board with proper anti spoofing, ddos abuse of spoofing will
be on-going and always an issue.